Friday, April 01, 2005

NTUC's employee policies are generous - TODAY

I REFER to the letter, "Is penalty for early resignation fair?" by Mr Ngiam Shih Tung (March 30) and the response from Mr Tan Kin Lian (March 31).

As a former employee of NTUC Income, I believe the early resignation penalty is fair and equitable. Three years ago, after I was retrenched for the third time, I approached NTUC Income CEO Mr Tan Kin Lian for a specific project assignment. I was hired on a one-year contract, even though I did not have the relevant experience.

In the first month, NTUC Income sponsored me to do a special course which cost a few thousand dollars, even though I was only a contract employee. The experience gained was very enriching although the special project I embarked on did not bear much fruit.

I decided to tender my resignation after six months because I felt I could not contribute positively to the special project.

The parting was done amicably and NTUC Income magnanimously waived the early resignation penalty in my employment contract.

In my 27 years of work experience, I must say I have not come across an employer with such extensive employee-friendly benefits and programmes.

Letter from Roland Ang

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home